LEARN, SHOP & CHAT ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY, BEAUTY AND ANTI-AGING
You're here: Home > Message Boards > Plastic Surgery > Chemical Peel

Plastic Surgery, Beauty, Skin Care Message Boards & Blogs

Our message boards are for all of us who want to talk, listen, share, and support fellow women and men interested in discussing plastic surgery, beauty treatments, pregnancy, gynecological concerns, aging, and various health conditions. You can read messages without logging in. To post a message, please log in or register. It's free...and being a member gives you access to important information. By using the Message Boards, you agree to the Message Boards Policies.

SUBSCRIBE: Sign up to get newsletter with weekly popular topics discussed on the boards  
 

DO NOT Layer TCA...and here's why

Postby Nikkicute » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:42 pm

From what I understand the way members layer their peels is this:

Layering is where you apply the tca as normal, wait a couple of minutes for
it to stop burning and then apply it all over again. Once you see frosting, then you stop.


Is this true :?:
If so all I can say is wow and OUCH!!
My skin would burn and be left with a dark spot with that method.

But I do believe in layering.
The way I always did it is every 24 hours from the time I applied.
If I applied my TCA Complex at 3:00p.m. and do a light swipe I'd
do another light swipe of the TCA at 3:00p.m. the next day.
I leave it on for a minute or two then rinse if off with water.

For some odd reason that is the way I thought layering was done.
I'd do that for 3 days in a row, resulting in my skin being really tight
with a slight discoloration.
If you have nails and you were to tap my cheek you could hear it,
that's how tight the skin would get. It looks like a clear hard shell.

After that I would not have to mess with my skin until it peeled.
No washing and no moisturizing.
I would do the warm water compress for the tightness but that would be it.
And when it did peel, my skin would be so smooooth and SOFT!!!

This is how I layer and I don't do any frosting.
Just a light swipe everyday for three days.
I finally peeled my stubborn forehead using this method.
I was so happy, forehead never looked better. :D

The only problem I had was when could I do another one?
The new skin was so baby soft I knew that if I applied the TCA Complex
it would burn like heck!!
Nikkicute
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm



Postby spy9doc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 am

Interesting! I dunno........perhaps your method works for you, but when we speak of layering, we do indeed mean doing it within 4-7 minutes of each preceding layer.

Not sure why you decided to do it on successive days, but I have never seen any data on using TCA that way, and would imagine that it could result in unpredictable and undesirable results. :shock: Perhaps those with more professional expertise will have detailed comments.
spy9doc
 
Posts: 2530
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: New England



Layering TCA Peels

Postby Nikkicute » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38 pm

spy9doc wrote:Interesting! I dunno........perhaps your method works for you, but when we speak of layering, we do indeed mean doing it within 4-7 minutes of each preceding layer.

Not sure why you decided to do it on successive days, but I have never seen any data on using TCA that way, and would imagine that it could result in unpredictable and undesirable results. :shock: Perhaps those with more professional expertise will have detailed comments.


Don't know why I use it on successive days either.
I think I just made this method up myself. lol

This is the way I did it before I even heard or joined this forum.
I think one day I did a light swipe and the next day I thought it
would not peel as much as I wanted it to so I swiped it again
and thought I should do this one more day.

The results turned out GREAT!!
Nothing unpredictable or undesirable at all.

To me it wasn't any different from doing a Skin Culture Peel 4000.
With the Peel 4000 (which is their deepest peel) you get four jars of
the peeling treatment. You don't put all four jars on your skin in one
day.

You apply one jar on day one then the next day you apply the second jar
and so on and so on to you get to day four. You get a very deep peel from
applying the peel in successive days. With the Skin Culture Peel that is
how the peel is done.

So I guess I just used that method and applied it to my TCA Complex.

Right now I am going to do another method I have found in the instruction sheet
when I purchased the TCA Complex and that is doing a light swipe every 3 days.
Nikkicute
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm



Postby xanaxx1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:22 pm

LOL!! That is funny. And kinda disturbing :lol:
"And now I'm growing old disgracefully"
Xanaxx FPII
User avatar
xanaxx1
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: MO aka Misery



COLD SORES

Postby CHOCOLATTECHICK30 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:44 pm

I have in the past had cold sores on my lips after a cold or flu, why should i avoid a peel?
CHOCOLATTECHICK30
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:45 pm



Re: Layering TCA Peels

Postby OneTwoThree » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 am

Nikkicute wrote:
spy9doc wrote:Interesting! I dunno........perhaps your method works for you, but when we speak of layering, we do indeed mean doing it within 4-7 minutes of each preceding layer.

Not sure why you decided to do it on successive days, but I have never seen any data on using TCA that way, and would imagine that it could result in unpredictable and undesirable results. :shock: Perhaps those with more professional expertise will have detailed comments.


Don't know why I use it on successive days either.
I think I just made this method up myself. lol

This is the way I did it before I even heard or joined this forum.
I think one day I did a light swipe and the next day I thought it
would not peel as much as I wanted it to so I swiped it again
and thought I should do this one more day.

The results turned out GREAT!!
Nothing unpredictable or undesirable at all.

To me it wasn't any different from doing a Skin Culture Peel 4000.
With the Peel 4000 (which is their deepest peel) you get four jars of
the peeling treatment. You don't put all four jars on your skin in one
day.

You apply one jar on day one then the next day you apply the second jar
and so on and so on to you get to day four. You get a very deep peel from
applying the peel in successive days. With the Skin Culture Peel that is
how the peel is done.

So I guess I just used that method and applied it to my TCA Complex.

Right now I am going to do another method I have found in the instruction sheet
when I purchased the TCA Complex and that is doing a light swipe every 3 days.


From what I read before, Skin Culture uses Phenol acid not TCA. I thought that was weird, though, as Phenol was supposed to be pretty dangerous for home use.
OneTwoThree
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 am



Re: COLD SORES

Postby kylesmom9 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am

CHOCOLATTECHICK30 wrote:I have in the past had cold sores on my lips after a cold or flu, why should i avoid a peel?


Hi Chocolatte,

It seems that the process of a peel can cause the virus to become active. If it does become active while the skin barrier is not intact (a peel is a controlled wound) it can spread to the whole face and cause scarring.

If you are going to have a peel then you need to have some antiviral medications prescribed to take before and after the peel. Your doctor would be able to tell you how long you have to take it...the timeframes are varied if you google it.

HTH
User avatar
kylesmom9
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: CA



Postby kylesmom9 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:43 am

When I google "TCA Complex" I come up with an ebay store selling TCA products that you use daily with no concentrations listed. Maybe this is what you are using Nikki? TCA Latte?

I would not recommend using a TCA on successive days, but perhaps this is something akin to a 2% solution or some such thing?
User avatar
kylesmom9
 
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: CA



Postby Nikkicute » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 pm

kylesmom9 wrote:When I google "TCA Complex" I come up with an ebay store selling TCA products that you use daily with no concentrations listed. Maybe this is what you are using Nikki? TCA Latte?

I would not recommend using a TCA on successive days, but perhaps this is something akin to a 2% solution or some such thing?


Yes, the same seller that sells the TCA Complex also sells TCA Latte.
I wish she would list the percentage of the TCA Latte.
I doubt if I e-mailed and asked I would get an answer, I e-mailed her
with a question about a month ago and have not been able to get an
answer.

She used to be better at answering questions but I guess these days
Julie must be REALLY busy.

The TCA Complex is a 12.5% solution.
I have successfully used TCA Complex on successive days applying a light
application each day, 3 or 4 days was enough for a deeper peel.
It worked very well.

I remember applying it until the frost came and after peeling was left with
dark mark on my face so I cannot do the layering until frost method.
I will continue to do what works for me.

Right now I am working on being consistent with my skin care regime.
I can't tell you how many times I have purchased on and off skin peels,
my two favorites being the Skin Culture Peel and the TCA Complex
through the years and guess what?

I LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I'm 36 but people think I'm 21 or 23, so for me the problem is not about
looking older or about wrinkles, it's about having clear, even toned skin.

I used the TCA Complex before, but what happened?
Why did I not keep using it?

I use products that work and all of a sudden I will hear of another peel
or see another skincare product wrapped up in a pretty package lol and I
want to try it.

I was such a product jumper!!
Jumped from one product to the next.
I have to stop that now and stick to what works and keep using it.
I would have reached my goal of an even skintone a long time ago if
I had stuck to one product and kept with it.
Nikkicute
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm



Postby Ms.Esthetician » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 am

JUST FOR CLARIFICATION

I'm referring to actual TCA...... with a ph of 2.5 or lower.


DEEA
User avatar
Ms.Esthetician
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina



Postby acidgrl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks for the important info.....I'm still learning and your explanation sure has helped clarify some things......
User avatar
acidgrl
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 am



Postby Nikkicute » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm

After applying the TCA Peel do you wash it off (with water) :?:
Nikkicute
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm



Postby DCNGA » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:30 pm

TCA is self-neutralizing, so you do not "have" to wash it off, but you can. It's going to do what it's going to do regardless of whether you wash it off or not, honestly, once it's on the skin. It amounts to "denaturing" the skin but Teri has the "official" medical term for it--can't remember--de-keratinizes, maybe??

My derm did many layers on my arms and hands and sent me on my merry way, never telling me to do a thing about washing it off.
http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/
I no longer post on MMH. Please contact me via email.
DCNGA
 
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:34 pm
Location: GA



Postby Nikkicute » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I was just going through the TCA Complex guide and did not see anything
about what do to after application of the peel other then use neosporin etc..
I usually wash it off, just wanted to know what others on the board have
done after application of TCA.
Nikkicute
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm



You said not to use it for active acne!

Postby Missy_b » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Well I use the TCA peel and I had severe active acne and it completely I mean completely took away my acne. I don't even get pimples anymore , seems like it killed the problem.
Missy_b
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 pm



Previous

Return to Chemical Peel

 

Featured Specialists









Top Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
Look Young Again!
Experienced & Compassionate
www.DrBramKaufman.com

Miami Plastic Surgery
Board Certified Surgeons
Breast Augmentation $2800
coralgablescosmetic.com