LEARN, SHOP & CHAT ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY, BEAUTY AND ANTI-AGING
You're here: Home > Message Boards > Cosmetic Dentistry > Cosmetic Dentistry

Plastic Surgery, Beauty, Skin Care Message Boards & Blogs

Our message boards are for all of us who want to talk, listen, share, and support fellow women and men interested in discussing plastic surgery, beauty treatments, pregnancy, gynecological concerns, aging, and various health conditions. You can read messages without logging in. To post a message, please log in or register. It's free...and being a member gives you access to important information. By using the Message Boards, you agree to the Message Boards Policies.

SUBSCRIBE: Sign up to get newsletter with weekly popular topics discussed on the boards  

Bad dental experience in Costa Rica

All about cosmetic dentistry, veneers, tooth whitening, crowns, bonding, bridges, orthodontics, and more.

Bad dental experience in Costa Rica

Postby ticachica » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know about a bad dental experience I had in Costa Rica. If you are researching dentists there, please be aware that Dr. Alejandro Lasso Mora is very bad. He is young and inexperienced but will tell you that he has been practicing for many years. I had several crowns done and the quality was very shoddy. The fit was all wrong, the color was off - you name it.

A dentist in the States told me it was the worst work he has ever seen so I just wasted a lot of money. Please be careful about who you choose to do your dental work in Costa Rica.
ticachica

Re: Bad dental experience in Costa Rica

Postby Jlemaire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

I had an equally bad experience with this dentist and the same reactions from the dentists I saw after my first and only visit to Dr.Mora's office. I ran away after he had ruined the implants I had had for 15 years, simply trying to remove the crowns I had on them to give me an estimate...
Jlemaire

Postby ticachica » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. Let's keep getting the word out so maybe we can prevent someone else from wasting their money.
ticachica

Postby rinconmn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:47 am

I just returned from San Jose, Costa Rica (2/3/10). My dentist is Dr. Alejandro Mora Lasso of Dental Cosmetics. Dr. Mora made a full mouth upper fixed denture (14 TEETH) over 6 Nobel Replace Implants/Abutments. I had the implants ( Nobel Biocare Product) placed in Santa Barbara, Ca . The denture was made by Dr. Mora's Laboratory in 3 segments. We used a gold framework with a Invoclar Porcelain (also called Empress) veneer. The color,tooth size, fit and finish is very high quality, and I am very pleased with the final result. The cost was about $8,000 for Dr. Mora's/Lab service, $3,000 for the Nobel Abutments, travel at $1800. I was quoted $32000-$36,000 for the same product in Ventura county.
rinconmn

Postby grady117 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am

I was a patient of Dr. Mora and I had a great and successful experience! My first trip there was in July, 2009. I had all of my remaining teeth pulled and had 20 implants (10 upper & 10 lower). I also needed bone graft and a sinus lift. Before the surgery I had numerous panoramic xrays, pictures, etc. I had a lot of swelling for a few days after but I never experienced any pain. I saw Dr. Mora about every other day after the swelling had subsided so that he could observe my healing and do more xrays and calculations. Two weeks after my surgery I had my lower crowns (fixed porcelain fused to a metal bridge).
Unfortunately, I still needed 6 months of healing so I was condemned to an upper denture and polident until I returned to Dr. Mora in late January, 2010 to receive my upper crowns.
I have nothing to compare it to because these are the only implants I have ever had but they sure do feel like my old teeth when they were still strong. I have no problem eating anything. Dr Mora, Dr. Fernandez and the whole staff made this a wonderful experience and Costa Rica is a beautiful place to go for medical or a vacation. I took my wife with me the second time and she had implants so I recommend Dr. Mora highly or I would not have taken her. Oh, by the way, it was 1/3 of the cost of having it done in California and I thoroughly checked around. Conact; GRADY.BIRT@ABC.com
grady117

Postby karapov49 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

Dear ticachica:

I just had my dental treatment with Dr. Alejandro Mora Lasso and Dr. Andres Fernandez, in Dental Cosmetics Costa Rica. It is very bad that you use this kind of blogs to talk about such great professionals and not even give your real name.
I am very pleased with Dental Cosmetics work, and specially with Dr. Mora's attention. He was very kind to me at all time and didn't experience any pain at all.
They really changed my life.
Shame on you.
Peter Karapov
karapov49

Postby achipman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 am

I had my dental treatment with Dr. Alejandro Mora Lasso and Dr. Andres Fernandez, in Dental Cosmetics Costa Rica. They are such great professionals and I was treated better than I ever have in the states. The office was state-of-the-art and the people warm and friendly. They even emailed me to see how I was healing. The dentist in the states said they did a great job. FYI, the cost was 90% off of what I was quoted in the states.
Angela Chipman
achipman

Postby JohnConnor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:58 pm

In June 2008 I went to Costa Rica for major dental restoration. After visiting Dr. Mora's office I was convinced he would provide a quality service. Dr. Mora outlined three alternative treatment options and I selected the most comprehensive plan

I needed to remove 8 teeth (tied to bridges) that were in various stages of decline and replace them with full dental implants-top and bottom. I felt taking aggressive action would ensure proper fit and allignment. The prices I was quoted in California avearged $100,000 dollars and that was unexceptable. The total cost for the trip in June and a follow up trip in November 2008 was $28,000 dollars for the dental implants and travel expenses of $5,000 dollars (two seaperate 13 day trips-treatment and vacation). I received wonderful treatment and great memoties from my visits to Costa Rica.

The outcome and the overall experience exceeded my expectations. I was treated like an important customer, not just a patient. The service from Dr. Mora and his staff was exceptional and personal. It is now over a year and a half since the treatment was completed. My local dentist, who does my teeth cleaning, continues to coment on what a great job Dr. Mora did in the reconstruction work. The five months I had to get by with dentures made me realize how lucky I am to get a second chance with dental implants.

John Connor
JohnConnor

Postby mcr4368 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:28 am

I had extensive dental work; implants, crowns, root canals and fillings done by Dental Cosmetics of Costa Rice. I found Dr Mora and all of his associates to be extremely competent and well trained. They are caring and compassionate. Their facilities are new and modern. Their training is excellent. When I had my first implants placed, Dr Mora and Dr Fernandez each gave me their personal cell phone numbers so that i could call them 24/7 if need be. Dr Fernandez personally walked me to the pharmacy so that he would be sure that I received the antibiotic shot he prescribed. My dentist in Charlotte, NC said it was really fine quality dental work and she also said she didnt blame me for going to CR for the work with the savings offered. I have never received the treatment and care from any USA dentist. I have had some bad work done by USA dentists, but thankfully, Dr Mora and staff were able to correct it. I talked to quite a few of Dr Mora's patients as I sat in the waitng room and everyone, without exception, raved about what good treatment they were receiving from Dental Cosmetics of Costa Rica.
I hate to see anyone trash a professional with no substantitive proof offered. Anyone who wishes to contact me can do so at mcr4368@yahoo.com for additional information on my experience.
mcr4368

Postby HappyBill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:32 am

You can get great dental in Costa Rica. Lots of people are doing it. However, some dentists there, like anywhere else, are better than others.

If you have Big Dental - over $10,000 States - you really need to consider Costa Rica. Most work will take 10 business days. If you have Big Dental and the money and the time to do Costa Rica - do it.

I did full denture replacement. I got 16 implants and 28 real porcelain crowns on 2 fixed bridges - no overdenture or denture secured things. All done in 1 two week trip. Cost - $16,000. This is $75,000 in The States.

There is a great place to get help if you are considering dental in Costa Rica. I found Costa Rican Dental - http://www.costaricandental.com/ and was glad I did. They know all the in's and out's of dental in Costa Rica. I was picked up at the airport and treated great at the dental clinic and had a much better idea of what was going to happen before I went.

One or two people may have a bad dental experience in Costa Rica but there are lots and lots of very happy people who got great dental there. That's life.
HappyBill

Postby Joana1973 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 am

Not only costa rica is inexpensive, dental procedures are very affordable in Mexico, Argentine, Bolivia, Colombia.. etc.
In the US prices can vary depending on the area,, it won't be the same price in San Diego than in Dakota or Nebraska.
People who are just looking for a price are wrong since you will always find a cheaper price with an unethical dr.
Usually, there are a variety of treatment options available to fit different budgets,, and prices vary from country to country and from area to area.
For each area there is a standard price, what you have to know is the average price in your area calling an association or some dentists.
If a dentist quotes you a very low price comparing to others…. Be careful.
When I was in Bolivia for plastic surgery at MakeoverTravel clinic I also had 2 implants done and I just paid the standard price. ($750 for dental implants, after that the cost for a porcelain crown is of $400). I am very happy with the work done by my dentist.
My Before / After pictures (surgeries done: TummyTuck, extensive lipo, Butt augment with fat G.)
Total surgery cost in Bolivia: $4,900
http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/buttocks-augmentation/my-tummy-tuck-in-bolivia-with-makeovertravel-a13278
Joana1973

Postby mkm1212 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Dental work in Costa Rica....

If you are contemplating going to Costa Rica for inexpensive dental work...think again. The old adage, “ you get what you pay for” is so very true in my experience. The overriding reason I am writing this review is to hopefully help anyone thinking of having dental work done in that country, not make the same mistakes I did. After reading numerous reviews both pro and con concerning various dentists in Costa Rica, I chose Dr Telma Rubenstein et al of Prisma Dental. BIG MISTAKE. I was impressed with their internet advertisements featuring their “state of the art” lab etc. As it turned out, the lab with its latest technologically advanced equipment, was only as good as its technicians and materials used. I was also impressed with some of the glowing endorsements that I later found out were written by people that had a vested interest in Prisma Dental. One wrote a book about it. Another glowing endorsement was by a person I communicated with via emails. She turned out to be a extremely close friend of Dr Rubenstein and her husband Dr Cordero. When I questioned her about a bad review I had read about Dr Rubenstein and Prisma Dental, she stated that it was from a disgruntled employee. I should have questioned their reasons for their endorsements more thoroughly.

On arrival at Prisma Dental, I met with Dr Telma Rubenstein. We discussed what work needed to be done and the charges for the procedures. Dr Rubenstein was pleasant enough on my initial contact. All that changed when she began working on my teeth. I found that she had a terrible “ bedside manner” and was very pushy and rude. She is a driven woman who I later found out works twelve to fourteen hours a day. She had me sitting in the dental chair for hours on end without a break, hanging the saliva suction device inside my cheek even when not needed.
When I would remove it, she would rudely replace it, resulting in painful blisters inside my mouth. As you would expect, this work ethic makes for ideal conditions for mistakes to take place. When all work was completed I was happy with the outcome and believed that all that I went through was worth it. I asked for an itemized bill. Gloriana, the office clerk told me it was not ready but gave me a total amount due. I paid the bill and prior to returning to the States, again requested an itemized copy of the bill. Gloriana stated she would email it to me.

Less than a month later my crowns began to break. Upon notifying Dr Rubenstein of the problem, she became very irritated and attempted to blame me for the breakage. She ultimately agreed to fix the problem but would not pay for my return airfare ($916). To her credit she took care of lodging and food.

Dr Rubenstein examined my broken crowns and consulted with her husband Dr Cordero in my presence. He informed her that the reason for the breakage of the crowns was due to them being made too thin. This second visit turned into a real nightmare. Dr Rubenstein hurried through the repairs and was very irritated, stating that she had angry paying clients waiting for her services. I returned home this time with heavier, off color crowns that looked like Chiclet gum pieces. I also now have several very sensitive teeth due to her excessive grinding in trying to fix the bite problem. One week after returning home I suffered another broken crown. I now question the quality of the lab work and materials used to make my crowns. The bite problem is still ongoing and causing pain when eating.
Again, prior to leaving this second time I requested the itemized bill from the first visit. Gloriana stated she would email it. I finally received the bill and found several added and excessive charges.
On a final note the last mistake I made was not getting a breakdown of charges in written form before having any work done. I have learned a valuable lesson and hope others thinking about going to Prisma Dental will take my experience into consideration.
mkm1212

Postby DentaRica » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am

People who go to these message boards are probably looking for information about dentists and procedures abroad, and doing some research before making a decision. As was pointed out by one post, one cannot always trust the testimonials or website information put out by a dental clinic anywhere, not just in Costa Rica. A sensible and safer approach to medical or dental tourism, is to go to a certified medical tourism expert and let them handle the arrangements. In the case of Costa Rica, the certifying agency is ProMed. A list of 2 certified facilitator companies is listed on its website. My company is one of the two. People think that the prices are higher using a facilitator, but in many cases the costs are much lower. For my clients, I negotiate prices with the dentists that our company partners with keeping the ProMed agreements to higher standards of quality. ProMed is a quality assurance similar to BBB here in the USA. If a problem arises and a patient has been referred to that dentist through a ProMed Certified facilitator, and the Dentist is a ProMed affiliate, then ProMed can arbitrate any disputes with the facilitator acting as advocate for the patient. When a client of DentaRica fills out a medical and dental information sheet and submits it online, we are assisting both the patient and dentist before departure, to be sure that the patient can be safely given anesthesia with no prescription drug interactions. The predeparture assistance, then pairing up the patient with the doctor best suited to their particular situation will heavily influence the outcome of the dental procedures done. I would suggest to anyone reading online reviews of dentists in Costa Rica to go through a dental tourism facilitator who is ProMed certified because, otherwise, they really have no recourse if they get poor dentistry done other than to complain and try to get it fixed elsewhere. Certified ProMed Facilitators are trained and certified by exam in Costa Rica, but mine is a USA company, DentaRica Travel, LLC. You can find out more at http://www.dentarica.com, or http://www.promedcostarica.com/certific ... companies/
DentaRica

Postby RJ_of_Oregon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:15 pm

mkm1212 wrote:Dental work in Costa Rica....

If you are contemplating going to Costa Rica for inexpensive dental work...think again. The old adage, “ you get what you pay for” is so very true in my experience. The overriding reason I am writing this review is to hopefully help anyone thinking of having dental work done in that country, not make the same mistakes I did. After reading numerous reviews both pro and con concerning various dentists in Costa Rica, I chose Dr Telma Rubenstein et al of Prisma Dental. BIG MISTAKE. I was impressed with their internet advertisements featuring their “state of the art” lab etc. As it turned out, the lab with its latest technologically advanced equipment, was only as good as its technicians and materials used. I was also impressed with some of the glowing endorsements that I later found out were written by people that had a vested interest in Prisma Dental. One wrote a book about it. Another glowing endorsement was by a person I communicated with via emails. She turned out to be a extremely close friend of Dr Rubenstein and her husband Dr Cordero. When I questioned her about a bad review I had read about Dr Rubenstein and Prisma Dental, she stated that it was from a disgruntled employee. I should have questioned their reasons for their endorsements more thoroughly.

On arrival at Prisma Dental, I met with Dr Telma Rubenstein. We discussed what work needed to be done and the charges for the procedures. Dr Rubenstein was pleasant enough on my initial contact. All that changed when she began working on my teeth. I found that she had a terrible “ bedside manner” and was very pushy and rude. She is a driven woman who I later found out works twelve to fourteen hours a day. She had me sitting in the dental chair for hours on end without a break, hanging the saliva suction device inside my cheek even when not needed.
When I would remove it, she would rudely replace it, resulting in painful blisters inside my mouth. As you would expect, this work ethic makes for ideal conditions for mistakes to take place. When all work was completed I was happy with the outcome and believed that all that I went through was worth it. I asked for an itemized bill. Gloriana, the office clerk told me it was not ready but gave me a total amount due. I paid the bill and prior to returning to the States, again requested an itemized copy of the bill. Gloriana stated she would email it to me.

Less than a month later my crowns began to break. Upon notifying Dr Rubenstein of the problem, she became very irritated and attempted to blame me for the breakage. She ultimately agreed to fix the problem but would not pay for my return airfare ($916). To her credit she took care of lodging and food.

Dr Rubenstein examined my broken crowns and consulted with her husband Dr Cordero in my presence. He informed her that the reason for the breakage of the crowns was due to them being made too thin. This second visit turned into a real nightmare. Dr Rubenstein hurried through the repairs and was very irritated, stating that she had angry paying clients waiting for her services. I returned home this time with heavier, off color crowns that looked like Chiclet gum pieces. I also now have several very sensitive teeth due to her excessive grinding in trying to fix the bite problem. One week after returning home I suffered another broken crown. I now question the quality of the lab work and materials used to make my crowns. The bite problem is still ongoing and causing pain when eating.
Again, prior to leaving this second time I requested the itemized bill from the first visit. Gloriana stated she would email it. I finally received the bill and found several added and excessive charges.
On a final note the last mistake I made was not getting a breakdown of charges in written form before having any work done. I have learned a valuable lesson and hope others thinking about going to Prisma Dental will take my experience into consideration.

I've been researching CR dentists and clinics for over a week straight now. After the 1st or 2nd day of research I learned to stay away from Prisma Dental. So many bad reviews and stories like yours are all over the message boards/forums. I'm wondering how/why you ended up there? Did you not do extensive research? Anyhow there are very good places in CR to get your dental work done so I find it unfair to tell people to think again about getting work done in that country. The wrong decision you made was not that you went to CR for dental work but rather that you went to Prisma.

Even my dentist here in the states has told me that he has seen work done in CR and Mexico that was "outstanding and impressive". He also said he has seen work that was very unacceptable. So the question is not does that country have good and affordable dental care...the question is: which clinic/dentist in that country has it. That is for each to learn by research, research, research and then after that is done you do a little more research. I find it hard to believe that anyone who did EXTENSIVE research would end up at Prisma Dental unless that person decided to just ignore the horrible reviews and cases out there.
RJ_of_Oregon

Postby andybingham » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:01 am

I found Nova Dental to be very dishonest even by Costa Rica standards. Having a house in Costa Rica I have seen it all. I caught them trying to pass off faulty dental work. They lied to my face without blinking and I had to fight them to correct the problem. The owner doctor would not speak to me and I found his wife also a doctor in the office to be unstable highly dishonest and incapable of basic customer service.

They put on a good show but at the end of the day Nova Dental is a scam shop more interested in your money then providing you with good dentistry.

Keep looking you can find a better dentist in Costa Rica.
andybingham

Next

Return to Cosmetic Dentistry

Featured Specialists

//test