LEARN, SHOP & CHAT ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY, BEAUTY AND ANTI-AGING
You're here: Home > Message Boards > Plastic Surgery > Liposuction

Plastic Surgery, Beauty, Skin Care Message Boards & Blogs

Our message boards are for all of us who want to talk, listen, share, and support fellow women and men interested in discussing plastic surgery, beauty treatments, pregnancy, gynecological concerns, aging, and various health conditions. You can read messages without logging in. To post a message, please log in or register. It's free...and being a member gives you access to important information. By using the Message Boards, you agree to the Message Boards Policies.

SUBSCRIBE: Sign up to get newsletter with weekly popular topics discussed on the boards  

Please help, I'm very worried about my chin lipo

Talk about all types of liposuction procedures, as well as alternative body shaping treatments, including Smartlipo, Vaser, Titan, CoolLipo, Mesotherapy, Lipodissolve, Velasmooth, and more.

Please help, I'm very worried about my chin lipo

Postby ihopethisworks » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 am

Hi there ;-) I'm 30 years old and have always been a little underweight. The only problem I have had since I was tiny was a pocket of fat under my chin which bothered me to no end. I recently had that removed with lipo. The doctor removed 20 cc's of fat, which to me didn't sound like it could be enough. He didn't want me to wear a chin strap because he said that sometimes they caused chins to heal wrong. He did, however, suggest that I massage it everyday. I also made the mistake of excersizing a week after surgery. Now, however, my chin looks no better than before the surgery. In fact, it looks worse. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery, but he said it should start looking better within 10 days. I'm worried I messed it up by excersizing. I'm worried it just didn't work. Am I panicking prematurely? Is it normal to have continued swelling after two weeks? Is it normal for the chin to actually look WORSE than before the surgery? I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks so much..
ihopethisworks

CHIN LIPO

Postby DESTINO36 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am

I TOO JUST HAD CHIN LIPO. IT HAS ONLY BEEN A WEEK AND A HALF AND MY DR DID NOT RECOMMEND A CHIN STRAP EITHER. HE SUGGESTED MASSAGING IT AND THAT WAS ALL. MINE LOOKS LARGER AS WELL BUT I AM HOPING ITS ONLY SWELLING. I HAVE ANOTHER APPT NEXT WEEK, I WILL ASK IT EXERCISING CAN MAKE IT WORSE ALTHOUGH I TEND TO BELIEVE NOT.
DESTINO36

Postby greeneyes44 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:32 pm

I had Chin lipo 3 days ago, for the same reason as you. I'm normal weight everywhere else but had one pocket of fat directly under the chin that was totally resistant to exercise. Good old Genetics. I made the decision to get it sucked out now rather than have it get worse and end up having to do a more invasive procedure down the road.

I had about 40 CC removed and my PS scuplted and recontoured leaving me with a better jawline that I had when I was in my 20's. I'm 38 now. So far I am very please with the results.

I just came back from my post op follow up and my PS was amazed at my results so far. We both agreed that if this is as good as it gets we will both be very happy. But he mentioned that it does take time (weeks and even months) for the skin to tighten and retract back up.

He had initially prepared me that I might not see a difference at first and in fact it may look worse for the first couple weeks. That didn't happen in my case but maybe it is happening in yours.

I was told to wear my compression garment 24/7 for the first 4 days, and then at night for another week or two. He also told me no exercise for 3 weeks. They tell you this because exercise makes the blood pressure increase which can increase the swelling.

Having just gone through this myself I am curious to see your before and after pics.

Here are mine:

Password is green
http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/view ... bumid=5026 [url][/url]
greeneyes44

Postby spy9doc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I don't want to drag in a rain cloud here, but IMHO, I believe it essential to wear compression in the area after surgery.

I am undoubtedly quite a bit older than all of you, and recently had my under chin area lipoed (along with other areas). Interestingly enough, despite all the hype of SmartLipo tightening the skin, I have seen very little of it in my case. The skin on my arms and thighs looks the same if not worse, but there is a marked difference in my chin (and buttocks).

I wore a tape-and-gauze compression arrangement 24/7 for about a week, and then went to a chin/head band for another 2-3 weeks at night.
Upon the advice of my PS, I began massaging the area as soon as I could tolerate doing so. I was back in the gym on Day 11 and fairly quickly returned to full activity.

BTW, the gauze-and-tape arrangement permits you to wear hair and makeup as usual. When asked, "what happened to you?", I merely replied, "I had some minor surgery".......end of discussion. I stopped wearing it only because I began to have abrasions on my jaw, even thought it was paper tape. I ordered a chin band when I ordered my new compression garment about a week post-op.

Plastic surgery is not my area of expertise, and I'm sure that your PS has had far more experience than I. I'm merely relating my experience as a fellow SmartLipo vet.

Best........
spy9doc

Postby dangerouscurves » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Hi to everyone who has posted above me.

I would like to know if the chin lipo is done in the office or do they totaly put you out?
annie
FORUM MODERATOR

Multiple plastic surgeries, rhino,FL,TT,lipo,fat grafting,
dangerouscurves

Postby studiocitytodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 pm

For what it's worth, from a male perspective, I had chin/neck lipo as part of my procedure on Jan 7th - Three weeks ago today. I have some significant swelling. The bruising is gone and I have what I can only describe as a "jelly roll" under my chin. I wore the compression garment for 48 hours and then as often as I could for the next week. My doctor wanted me to wear it at nights for 7 days, but I couldn't sleep with it. So I wore it as much as I could during the day for that week.

I had some severe irritation for about two weeks. Most of that is gone, though it's still recovering. But the "jelly roll", as I call it, is still there and quite significant. The doctor says it's likely formed from that first night with having the chin-strap on wrong, but I can't figure out any other way to wear it beyond the way they sent me home in it. Anything's posible, but I don't think it's likely that's the cause. I have a softer chin anyway, and I think I may have had my head at a weird angle.

I massage quite a bit all day long, and I haven't seen too much change. My doctor insists he's seen this before and I just need to give it time. I've seen a nice change in my jawline, and final results are still weeks or even months away.

Greeneyes... your photos look phenomenal for just 3 days post-op. Hardly any noticeable bruising. I wish I had that! My bruising took about a week to go away.

My photos are here. No password required:

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/view ... bumid=4978

Dangerouscurves... my chin lipo was done with all other lipo. They didn't put me out. All local drugs. I was certainly woozy, but not out.

Todd
studiocitytodd

Postby ihopethisworks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:09 am

greeneyes44 wrote:I had Chin lipo 3 days ago, for the same reason as you. I'm normal weight everywhere else but had one pocket of fat directly under the chin that was totally resistant to exercise. Good old Genetics. I made the decision to get it sucked out now rather than have it get worse and end up having to do a more invasive procedure down the road.

I had about 40 CC removed and my PS scuplted and recontoured leaving me with a better jawline that I had when I was in my 20's. I'm 38 now. So far I am very please with the results.

I just came back from my post op follow up and my PS was amazed at my results so far. We both agreed that if this is as good as it gets we will both be very happy. But he mentioned that it does take time (weeks and even months) for the skin to tighten and retract back up.

He had initially prepared me that I might not see a difference at first and in fact it may look worse for the first couple weeks. That didn't happen in my case but maybe it is happening in yours.

I was told to wear my compression garment 24/7 for the first 4 days, and then at night for another week or two. He also told me no exercise for 3 weeks. They tell you this because exercise makes the blood pressure increase which can increase the swelling.

Having just gone through this myself I am curious to see your before and after pics.

Here are mine:

Password is green
http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/view ... bumid=5026 [url][/url]

Thank you all for answering. Your before and after pics look amazing. You know, mine looked awesome for the first week but then the swelling got out of control. I think I might have had unrealistic expectations of healing time becasue my PS told me on my 3rd day that swelling shouldn't get any worse! Um... IT GOT WAY WORSE! I didn't really even see any swelling on the third day. After reading some of these replies I see that anxiety about healing seems pretty normal. I still can't understand why he didn't suggest a compression garment, but I too was told to massage massage massage. I think it's hard to imagine spending all that money and going through all of that with local anestesia and have it all be for not. It's still sore and sensitive, so I know it's swollen, I just hope it goes down. As far as the man who describes it as "jelly roll" I couldn't have described mine better! I'm glad that these forums exist because hearing that this is not abnormal has brought me some comfort. I hope everyone heals and looks amazing!
ihopethisworks

Postby ihopethisworks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:13 am

dangerouscurves wrote:Hi to everyone who has posted above me.

I would like to know if the chin lipo is done in the office or do they totaly put you out?
annie

Mine was done in his surgery center, but it was under local like numbing you for a root canal. My body went into shock on the table once I heard the scraping sounds etc.. and I got violently ill. I would urge you to ask to be KNOCKED OUT even if you have to pay the extra money. Maybe it won't bother you as much, but I don't want anyone to have to go through what I did on that table, it was horrible. If I would have been knocked out, the experience would have been so much easier.
ihopethisworks

Postby spy9doc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 am

Annie.......we're all so individual.

I would have preferred to have my chin done under local......meaning injections to numb the area only. My PS insisted on adding a bit of IV sedation. Perhaps having the option to have the sedation will make you more comfortable with the procedure? Your PS might also choose to give you something for anxiety before the procedure and then use local only.

As always, one needs to have realistic expectations and THOROUGHLY discuss all aspects of the proposed procedure with your PS.

This forum is a wonderful source of information. Use the "Search" button and spend some time reading the posts. It can be time-consuming, but you'll find information that will both inform and stimulate you to ask questions you may never have thought to ask.
spy9doc

Postby Snoopybug » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 am

I'm scheduled for a minor scar revision (about 3 inches in length) and a touch of lipo to my left upper ab side (total about 50-75cc). The whoe procedure for the above will take an estimated time of about an hour, give or take. The main event of the day SHOULD have been chin lipo. Like many of you I have a small pocket of fat (genetics) under my chin which bothers me, not terribly but enough to have been on and on and on for the past year to my PS about, even after a tt and thigh lift and lipo here and there. So I am not new to plastics.

To answer what will be happening to me this week in terms of anasthesia for the 1hour operation - they will put be totally out. My PS said with local there is always the risk that I may suddenly jerk while he is doing the lipo. This jerk may come from the result of a reflex move in that, although I would be numb by the local in that area, there is always the chance that I may feel for a spit second the probing and thrusting which will cause be to move suddenly for a second. That move may cause the canula to pierce my lungs or heart accidentally. Point one over. Also, as with one of you here, I do not want to be on the table and all hell breaks out. But that is just me. Once they put an IV in you, even for sedation why not go all the way. The same drugs enter your system just in a lower quantity. YOU will wake up!!! Local and only the slight possibility of puncturing of the heart or lungs does not appeal to me. But this is just my opinion.

Secondly, with the chin lipo issue; my PS has finally come to a decision and REFUSED to do it. He said that the fat in the chin is quite fibrous and the chin lipo procedure is a blind procedure. Meaning that there is a strong posibility that there will be areas at the end of the day that will be flat but there may also be a small area that just didn't get enough out and so there will be unevenness and lumpiness. Then, on top of this, there is always the issue of skin retraction. One can never be sure how much the skin will retract and there is a strong possibility esp.in this area of redundant skin, often forcing the patient to have a neck lift soon after. I am 38 and not quite ready to have scars put on my face through a neck lift. My chin isn't that bad, but of course could have benfitted from the lipo. BUT all said and done, was I reallly willing to take the risk of all the bad side of lipo to the area. Thinking about it NO.

Now suddenly my neck doesn't seem/look to bad knowing that I am not going to do it. At least i can rest and know, that although my body has been 'done' with amazing results, albeit is numb and without sensation from for example my belly button down, also in the groin areas with scars etc, it is only visible to me. As my dear mom said, at least my face will remain normal now, and be untouched by surgery and look natural, even with slight pouch.

This is just my epxerience with what was raised in this post. I can see that some of you have had amazing results so far and I keep my fingers crossed for even better results as time passes. But I am glad, although I was disappointed at first, a decision was made not to go ahead with the chin lip YET, I am glad a decision has been made to put me to sleep for an hour for such minimal lipo and a simple scar revision (which could have even been done in the office). But that's just me. As Spydoc says, we are all so different!!!

Good luck to all. No matter the road we all take in plastics, we should all support each other and keep our fingers crossed for one another for excellent results and uneventful recoveries.
Snoopybug

Postby greeneyes44 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 pm

I spoke too soon about the swelling. I'm now 5 days out from surgery and the swelling is worse now than before. My neck is actually looking like it did before surgery again. Ugh.

I'm not panicking though my PS said it was to be expected for weeks and even months. The area can change drastically from the swelling and settling. I've noticed it can even change a lot from night to day. When I wake up in the AM for instance (after wearing the chin strap all night) it isn't bad but after working all day with no garment support I come home and look in the mirror and it all looks drawn back down. Again, I was told this is normal and to expect these types of fluctuations. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think WOW it looks great but then the next day it looks like I swallowed a tennis ball and it's lodged in my throat, LOL. Thank goodness for turtlenecks sweaters..

I agree with Snoopybug, we all need to support each other and be patient with results and have faith in what our doctors tell us, even if it isn't what we want to hear. For those of us who have had the procedure already, we should take deep breaths and be glad the surgery is behind us and focus on the long haul, results. For those of us still on the fence considering the procedure, you have this terrific forum where you can read and research on what to expect from REAL people who have actually been through it.

Healthy and speedy recovery wishes to you all!

P.S. another word of advice to anyone with TMJ -- careful not to wear the chin strap too tight. I wore mine last night pretty tight and when I woke up my jaw was locked and it's been sore all day!
greeneyes44

Postby greeneyes44 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:56 pm

P.S. I forgot to answer Annie -- My chin / neck lipo was done under what they call "conscious sedation". I was not awake but not completely out either. They used a propofol / phentyl cocktail via IV. I have no memory of the procedure and that's the way I wanted it :)
greeneyes44

Postby ihopethisworks » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:16 pm

greeneyes44 wrote:I spoke too soon about the swelling. I'm now 5 days out from surgery and the swelling is worse now than before. My neck is actually looking like it did before surgery again. Ugh.

I'm not panicking though my PS said it was to be expected for weeks and even months. The area can change drastically from the swelling and settling. I've noticed it can even change a lot from night to day. When I wake up in the AM for instance (after wearing the chin strap all night) it isn't bad but after working all day with no garment support I come home and look in the mirror and it all looks drawn back down. Again, I was told this is normal and to expect these types of fluctuations. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think WOW it looks great but then the next day it looks like I swallowed a tennis ball and it's lodged in my throat, LOL. Thank goodness for turtlenecks sweaters..

I agree with Snoopybug, we all need to support each other and be patient with results and have faith in what our doctors tell us, even if it isn't what we want to hear. For those of us who have had the procedure already, we should take deep breaths and be glad the surgery is behind us and focus on the long haul, results. For those of us still on the fence considering the procedure, you have this terrific forum where you can read and research on what to expect from REAL people who have actually been through it.

Healthy and speedy recovery wishes to you all!

P.S. another word of advice to anyone with TMJ -- careful not to wear the chin strap too tight. I wore mine last night pretty tight and when I woke up my jaw was locked and it's been sore all day!

I was worried about that ;-( I remember how great mine looked the first two days. Of course, now you realize the swelling is totally normal. We all need to just keep in touch via the board and be there to guage what is and isn't normal.
ihopethisworks

Postby dangerouscurves » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks everyone above for all the good info on lipo/chin. I appreciate all the good comments and like the support and caring!

I think at the moment, I am going to wait on the 'chin thing'.....I am not ready for a mid-facelift. I am going to exercise that chin area thru some neck moves.

Once again, you are all great!
I'll be back again for a chat.
FORUM MODERATOR

Multiple plastic surgeries, rhino,FL,TT,lipo,fat grafting,
dangerouscurves

Re: Please help, I'm very worried about my chin lipo

Postby canthopexy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:43 am

Hi all,

GreenEyes and the OP, did you see any improvement with your neck/chin lipo results after the first week?

I am on Day 9 post-op, and still look the same as before surgery, if not a bit worse (swelling was even worse a few days ago).

What day did you start to see results/ a jawline definition, if at all? How does it look now 8 years have passed? Thank you :)

I also had 20 cc removed, worried as I can't see any improvements even though much swelling seems to have subsided.
canthopexy

Return to Liposuction

Featured Specialists