LEARN, SHOP & CHAT ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY, BEAUTY AND ANTI-AGING
You're here: Home > Message Boards > Plastic Surgery > Nose Surgery, Nose Job, Rhinoplasty

Plastic Surgery, Beauty, Skin Care Message Boards & Blogs

Our message boards are for all of us who want to talk, listen, share, and support fellow women and men interested in discussing plastic surgery, beauty treatments, pregnancy, gynecological concerns, aging, and various health conditions. You can read messages without logging in. To post a message, please log in or register. It's free...and being a member gives you access to important information. By using the Message Boards, you agree to the Message Boards Policies.

SUBSCRIBE: Sign up to get newsletter with weekly popular topics discussed on the boards  

Dr G - MY JOUNRAL

Dr G - MY JOUNRAL

Postby nosewish7 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Ok, so I have my primary surgery with Dr Grigoryants booked for tomorrow, and this afternoon I have my initial and final consult all in one !
I am a bit jetlagged and as you can imagine very, very nervous.
I don't need a lot of work done so I am freaking out that I am about to make a terrible decision and I would be better leaving my nose alone. That said, I think there is room for improvement and I am hoping that Dr G will be able to give me the subtle changes I need, I just hope I am able to communicate what I am looking for.
Anyway, I just wanted to start my own thread to document my journey and to ask advice and let you all know how things go !
I'm so nervous it's ridiculous.
Any questions I should ask aside from the obvious?
Thanks, wish me luck !
Bless
Last edited by nosewish7 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nosewish7

Re: Tomorrow!!

Postby lolita27 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Good luck to you! What is your story and what are you getting done? I'll send good thoughts your way.
lolita27

Postby Maroon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Best of luck to you! Don't worry the nerves are normal. I was a nervous wreck up to days before Surgery because I have never had a surgery before. So, I didn't know what to expect. It was a very easy process. A lot easier than you would imagine. You're going to be going in and out. Several hours will pass but it will feel like one. Your nose shouldn't hurt too badly, just ice your eyes that same day or have someone do it for you while you're sleeping. I say that because I didn't ice the first day, I was so tired, and ended up with a puffy eye. That was my fault! Anyhow, just relax and think good thoughts. Dr. Grigoryants is an amazing doctor, he will do a great job on your nose! Just let him know when you see him right before the surgery, again, that you would just like subtle changes. :) His anesthesiologist is extremely nice and his nurse was amazing. He really helped me remain calm. A very sweet man. Anyways, keep us updated and good luck!
Maroon

Postby nosewish7 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replies it was really nice to hear some support the night before I went it.

To answer your question, I had primary rhino (removing a tiny bump and slightly narrowing the bridge and refining the tip) septa and turbinate reduction to improve my breathing.

I am going to do a recap of my day for those who are interested -

I was the first surgery of the morning and I had my initial consult with DR G the night before at around 7-8pm. I flew from Autralia on sunday so I was very jet lagged and had barely slept before my initial appointment, but I found Dr G to be an EXCELLENT listener whilst also being realistic, he has a really good eye for facial proportions and told me why certain noses that I like just would work for me, but was also very good at listening to my concerns about how raised the tip would be and compromising with me even though I think he thought it would nicer more raised than what we decided. He even said to my boyfriend after surgery ( " It all went well, I barely raised the tip, she knows what she wants!") so I know that he really heard all of my concerns. The receptionists at his office were also really really sweet and helped me to not feel so nervous (After I paid for my surgery and signed my consent forms I literally thought I was going to throw up I was so nervous).

After the appointment I went to the supermarket and got my prescriptions filled and bought ice and a ton of peas to make up some gloves and ice packs for the morning.
Then after dinner, I tried to go to bed and get some rest because I had to get up at 4.45 in the morning - but couldn't sleep AT ALL, so ended up just lying there for 5 hours until it was time to get up and go. I tried my best but the combination of jet lag and nerves was just too much.

At 4.45 I got up, brushed my hair (I had washed and blow dried last night), put on tights and a look t-shirt and a cardigan, got my bag that I had packed the night before with all my forms, waited for my boyfriend to have breakfast ( I wasn't allowed to eat anything of course) and headed to the hospital. On the way to the hospital my mum called me from Australia, which made me extremely upset because I hadn't slept and at this point was starting to panic that I was walking into a horrible mistake. Basically I had cold feet and was terrified. My boyfriend tried to be sweet but I was awful and pretty hysterical as we tried to find a park. Eventually we got to admissions and got the forms filled out and headed to Same Day Surgery.
That was when my nerves started to subside SLIGHTLY thanks to the most wonderful nurse named Sandy who was so nice and really reassuring and helped take my mind off what was going on. She felt like a mum, and without her I don't know that I could have gone through with it.
I put on the gown and got my IV put in and medical bands and after a while was wheeled to a different room where I met my theatre nurse Sam, who was the sweetest man and told me not to be nervous at all because " Dr Grigoryants does beautiful work and I should just be excited!" He put some compression bandages on my legs, and cap on my hair, and stood with me to reassure me. The anaesthesiologist then came ( I think his name was chris?) and he was also super friendly and told me he was going to take care of me and had a big chat about Australia to me and my boyfriend which was great and a good distraction. Although he started talking about the great barrier reef and sharks which reminded me of my dad who is a surfer and I got a twinge of homesickness and anxiety once more.
But then Dr Grigoryants came in and I shot upright and pulled out the little list of questions that I had written last night. Basically nothing new just things like " narrowed, but not TOO narrowed" and "please be conservative with the tip lift" and " are we going to cut the muscle between the nose and the lip" (we decided not to because he got me to do a few facial exercises and said my muslce wasn't strong so there was no need to). He basically finished my sentences before I could even begin them , which made me feel reassured because even though he was brief, he had obviously remembered my concerned from yesterday. He drew some lines on my face and showed my boyfriend what he was going to do.
He then left and Sam came back to calm my nerves and wheel me into theatre ! My boyfriend had to go back to the waiting room and within seconds I was in the theatre room where Dr G and the anaesthesiologist were waiting. I got put into the table and Sam put some warm blankets on me. Then the anaesthesiologist started talking to me about Australian heritage again and that's the last thing I remember ! I don't even remember them hooking me up to the drip or "getting sleepy", I just remember talking and then that's it!
I also have no recollection of when I first woke up and was in the recovery room or anything, or seeing Dr G - he may or may not have been there I don't know because I don't remember ! The next thing I remember after talking is being in the patient room where I started with the nurse Sandy and my boyfriend and saying " I feel funny, I feel funny" from the anaesthesia.
The nurses told me just to breathe deep to try and shake the rest of the amnesia. So I did that but it definitely took a little while before I could open my eyes because I felt so strange. In that time, my boyfriend had come in and seen my black eyes and the funny smells and fainted !! The poor thing :( But the nurses were really nice and helped him, I think he was just in shock, which is normal when someone you love looks like they have been in an accident! ( I am fair and bruise very easy, so you can imagine !)
After that I stayed in there for may an hour maybe more I wasn't really aware of time until I felt well enough to sit up and Sandy and another nurse dressed me and helped me go to the bathroom. Then they took out the little IV thingy and brought me a wheelchair, some saltines to eat so I could take my antiobiots with something in my stomach ( They even brought out a pack when they realised I didnt have any at home) and some lemonade.
My boyfriend wheeled me out to the car and I felt pretty terrible and wobbly, I don't really remember the car ride home, just that it was hot and I was thinking about how much I couldn't breathe and how crazy my swelling was.
After I got home and had some saltines, water , antibiotics and painkillers I started to feel better and have basically just been icing ever since...
I had some greek yogurt, saltines, blueberries and cream ( chocolate and peanut butter and chic - yum! ) for dinner, I tried to have some fish but found I could really chew to eat it, plus I wasn't that hungry. I also had some kombucha and have been drinking lots of water throughout the day.
So far its obviously extremely different to see what my nose is going to look like because I am so swollen but I keep having to change my moustache bandage and when I do that you can see the lift and also you can tell that the nose is definitely narrower - so far so good !
I am just SO bruised I don't think I have see anyone's photos that look this bad !

Ok, sorry that was so long but I found that I really appreciated detail when I was reading other peoples journal.
Let me know if you have any questions OR any advice !!
I will try update soon.
xo
nosewish7

Products That Customers Interested in This Topic Are Buying

Re: Dr G - MY JOUNRAL

Postby NoseWithWings » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi Nosewish!

I am so excited for you, and your post was really what I needed to read right now. I am pretty sure I am going to have a panic attack on Thursday morning. The reality of everything just hit me tonight. But I am not nervous about Dr. G's work. No. Instead I keep having irrational fears about being allergic to the anasthesia and dying or just having random complications and dying in the middle of surgery. I know it is highly unlikely and that people go under all of the time, but I have never been hospitalized or anything, so I am a little (and by a little I mean REALLY) terrified. But I am also SUPER excited to be having my breathing/nose fixed. Does that make me a little bi-polar, maybe, but that is just where I am. Lol. I can't wait till you can post some pics! Even if you are shy, we aren't mean. The only noses and faces we tend to have problems with are our own :P We all seem to like eachothers! Haha. And so it goes.

Ok, I need to get some sleep tonight cause I am pretty sure I will be a nervous wreck tomorrow! Keep us posted :)
NoseWithWings

Postby nosewish7 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Wow Nosewithwings, Thursday morning ! we are so close together !
Honestly, if you can try to get yourself into the hospital asap it may help your fears, when I was outside the hospital in the carpark or alone with my boyfriend that's when I was having a panic attack, but once you meet the staff there, you really do get distracted from many of your worries. As for the anaesthesia, you won't have time to worry about it because I honestly didnt even know when it was happening, one second I was awake the next second I was waking up ! No clue how they did it, but it was super easy. Also, its possible that maybe you are just so nervous about the surgery that you are housing on this fear, like right before I went it I convinced myself it was going to look terrible and this was going to be a mistake, I think because I was just so scared of the whole procedure.. Please let me know how you're doing !

Ok Day 2 update - Today has been a ton worse than day 1 I have to admit. Day 1 was actually a little misleading in terms of how comfortable and functional I was. I didnt get any sleep last night due to my body still being jet lagged and also it being impossible to get comfortable, and overnight my face swelled up to the point where I don't recognise myself, but more annoyingly, I feel like my face is a balloon and it is hard to see out my eyes. I also hard a fairly persistent headache that hits me whenever I stand up despite taking the vicoden. In generally I just don't feel great and I want to stay in bed all day, whereas on day 1 I was quite happy walking around and getting up frequently to look in the mirror (haha) etc. Today, even drinking water is hard because the sucking on the straw kinda hurts. I don't really have an appetite, but its still hard that when I try to eat something, it really just hurts to much so in the end I am just trying to get something down to have something in my stomach for the sake of the painkillers.
This post sounds quite negative, and I don't want to scare anyone off because honestly its not that bad, its just worse than day 1 and I am hoping that there will be a a turn around in the coming days. I have heard day 3 is the worst so I have that to look forward to ! LIke I said yesterday, its almost impossible to see my nose under the cast and the swelling, but when I take off my moustache gauze I like the look of the tip though it may be a bit raised ( too be expected with the swelling of course).
Overall I am just looking forward to the next few days and healing up !
Cant wait to eat some proper food :( Soon I guess, let me know if you have any questions or tips ! I will try to update soon.
nosewish7

Postby Maroon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:40 pm

nosewish7;
I loved read the details of your experience. I think the honesty in your post is great, others will have an idea of what to expect. I too was completely fine the first day...walking around, eating...and the second was the opposite! But I mean by the 4th day everything was a lot easier. It will be annoying to lay around, and the nose bleeds. But anyway, Keep icing :) My eye did almost swell shut. It was a pain but I kept applying my ice pack. Then it slowly start to open. My other eye was almost bruise free. I think one eye took a beating to save the other. :lol: Which, I would love to see photos of you in the future, if you're willing to share! I can't believe your bf fainted! Aww!! Poor guy. :( But, It sounds like your surgery went easy! I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

NoseWithWings;
You have my fear. I was also afraid of dying. I even asked if it were a possibility. lol...Surgery is a pretty big deal and I was also afraid I would react wrong to the anesthesia. But here I am! You will be ok. Remain positive and keep telling yourself you're going to get through this with ease! I hope you happen to read this before you go through the surgery. But if it not...I am hoping the best for you! You will be fine. =]
Maroon

Postby nosewish7 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi guys thanks for responding, Maroon I am very much looking forward to day 4, not because I am in any pain but I am jut so swollen I would love to recognise myself in the mirror !

NosewithWings - My goodness you should be post-op by now !! I hope you are feeling well and you come to the forum soon and let us know how it went. Thinking of you today !

Before I start my Day 3 update, I just want to add something to my Day 2 post because I posted it too early and actually had a bit of a turn around in the evening, thanks to eating a decent sized meal and not just yogurt and fruit like I had been ! I managed to eat fish, shrimp and an omelette, some veggies and some ice cream until I was properly full ( even though it is uncomfortable as anything to chew, trust me on this one), and it was so worth it because my body was able to sleep properly for the first time and I felt 100000x better. Amazing what decent food can do !

Ok so for my Day 3 update - Today I woke up feeling a whole lot better than yesterday (due to the fact that I had managed to eat a decent amount and actually get some rest!). My face is still super swollen and it is hard to open my eyes, but the black bruises have faded to a light purple and really the issue is the swelling not the colour. Compared to other people that I have seen online, I am way more swollen and bruised than most, but this is probably because I am very fair skinned and bruise easy anyway.
While I'm not in a lot of pain I would love for the swelling to go down so that I recognise myself in the mirror and it's not so much effort to keep my eyes open !
I also would like to look as normal as possible for my cast removal because then I can just focus on the nose itself.. but at this point it looks like I will still be dealing with residual swell. I am so envious of people who look basically normal just having a few bruises under the eye, BUT trying to stay positive and get rested and heal up !
Speaking of cast removal, I called Dr. G's office today and am scheduled to get the cast off at 4.30 on Tues 3rd July ! I am excited and nervous at the same time as you can imagine.
I have been putting Arnica cream on the bruises under the eye and I have to say I think it is working ? Because the bruises where I put the cream seem paler than those where I can't put cream because they are under tape. Who knows but I'm hoping there is an effect there.
I'm feeling sorry for my bf who is being very patient and just hanging out in the apartment with me basically doing nothing all day :( At the moment he has gone out to get ingredients so I can cook up another nutritious dinner that will hopefully give my body some healing nutrients.
I am about to go and change the moustache gauze but thought I would let you know there is barely any blood any more just mucous (gross) so I'm taking that as a positive sign that things are healing !
Will update more soon, hope these posts help someone as I found other people's journals very helpful!
nosewish7

Postby NoseWithWings » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello!

I am alive and well--oh, and before the nose started draining, I was able to breathe better than ever :) I had an amazing peace that passed over me last night, and now I am (shockingly) feeling quite well. Still not tons of energy of course, but I have been famished, so I have been snacking on lots of little small things like cottage cheese, fruit, crackers and even some of my husband's pizza crust =P~ . My surgery went well. The staff was fantastic, and I slept so long, that I don't think I woke up all in recovery, and when they finally woke me up, I wanted to go back to sleep! I am going to start a thread, but I need to go put my ice pack on again, so I will in a bit.

Maybe we will both be there on the third! That will be my day six and I am hoping to have my cast off for the 4th because I will probably have to see a bunch of people, and I want them to see it now :P. We shall see! I am glad you have been eating and sleeping! Keep it up, and the swelling will go down. Happy healing.
NoseWithWings

Postby nosewish7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm so glad to hear you are doing well Nosewithwings, can't wait to read more about your experience and your swelling and bruising etc !

Ok, Day 4 update - Today was that best day so far, I managed to get some sleep in a few 3 hour chunks despite being awake from 2-4am. At 4am I took my painkillers and didn't wake up again until 9.30 am.
THe sleep is really helping, the more sleep I get the more like myself I feel, even though the swelling is so persistent.
When I first woke up I thought the bruising looked pretty similar to day three, and although the swelling had subsided a little and moved to my cheeks , my eyes still look like an avatar!
BUT - I felt so much better that I just went about my day - watching tv, skyping my mum (homesick!) and snacking.
I have also been applying Arnica cream and taking arnica tabs as well as my antibiotics and tylenol.
It is now the afternoon and I have to say I think the bruises are better than they were this morning, a lovely yellow colour is coming through over the purple , which I am hoping is a sign of healing ! As I said before, the swelling also seems to be drifting into my cheeks so I look like a chipmunk, but it is still in my eyes, one is open and one is slightly shut, and they both have the darkest red purple bruise on the lid like crazy eyeliner.
I don't want to freak anyone out with my bruises as this point because I honestly don't think I am "the normal" case for bruising - I already bruise really really easily, I always have, for example the last time I got food poisoning I threw up and the next day I had little red bruises all over my eyelids from the pressure. So I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just wish my bruising and swelling would go down already !
I have been eating really well and I think the more I eat the more energy my body has for recovery. I have definitely noticed a difference the more i eat even though it sometimes hurt to chew, trust me, push through it because your body needs the nutrients and it is so worth it.
I have to add - it is really lovely to hear from people and so don't be afraid to reach out if you have questions or tips because it is really comforting. I received an email early and I really enjoyed replying and having someone to communicate with about my nose (there is only so much my bf can take and he is being so patient and staying in with me all day).
nosewish7

Postby NoseWithWings » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:04 am

Hello again!
I am glad to see you are starting to turn yellow. That is usually a sign of the bruising subsiding. I was wondering, did Dr. G do anything to your nostrils? He took mine in and my nose is extra swollen, and I have a LOT of drainage because of these stitches irritating the inside of my nose. My throat is also killing me. I am not gonna talk at all today... lol... this would be a feat for me! But I am gonna try not to anyway because I feel sick in my throat now because of all of the dry mouth and talking. Let me know how you are doing on these things. Thanks! :)
NoseWithWings

Postby nosewish7 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 am

Hi NosewithWings - Dr G didn't do anything to my nostrils, so I don't have any of those extra stitches, just the ones on the inside of my nose that itch rarely, although I do still have drainage today on day 5. Whenever I yawn my nostrils flare a little and this sometimes makes the inside stitch sting but nothing the really worry much about as its over in a second.
As for my throat, I'm not really having any issues with that either ! The only time my throat hurts is when I wake up in the night or in the early morning and oh my goodness it is so dry I feel like I am swallowing sand until I get that first sip of water. But during the day it is fine and not painful.
The main issues I am having are these super dark purple bruises on my upper eyelid that make me look like I am wearing purple eyeliner ! The bruising under my eyes is turning yellow and pale blue like I mentioned yesterday, but the bruises on top of my eyelids do not seem to be budging and they are super dark :( I just have to be patient I guess?
I have also noticed my nose getting super swollen so you are not alone there, my cast is sort of lifting off the edges of my nose. Hopefully this is normal!
How are you doing today with all these things?
nosewish7

Postby NoseWithWings » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:51 pm

here are some pics of me. None of the nose really--Just the swelling and some befores. I will try and take some of the tip next time I change bandages, but I always forget because I am too grossed out by all the draining and itching :P

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/rhin ... ary-a14204

pw: sofarsogood

So far my nose is swelling still, as are my eyes. My throat feels a little better, but I seem to feel less energetic. I am noticing that if the fan is on or the wind is blowing I feel more like I have a cold than anything else because my nose runs more. Just gotta remember, only a few more days till the cast is off and hopefully the running will stop by then.
NoseWithWings

Postby nosewish7 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Wow thank you so much for sharing your photos ! I have to admit I was a little shocked, I have more bruising today on Day 5 than you did on Day 1 !!!
I guess I just bruised really badly, but you look awesome so you should be really happy about that :) Its hard to see your nose with the cast on but I think it already looks fantastic especially the bridge.
My nose has started to swell too, I have noticed the edges of my cast have lifted off my skin - has this happened to you ?

Day 5 Update - Ok sorry I didn't update yesterday, it was more of the same with a little less swelling and I decided to get out of the apartment and let my bf take me for a drive. All I did was sit in the passenger seat and I was exhausted by the end of it ! I also managed to go to the groceries in the afternoon, which I was really nervous about because I am still so bruised and horrible but I was really bored and wanted to get a bunch of stuff to make dinner.

Today, I am still really bruised, it is yellow and blue under my eyes and then dark purple on top of my eyelids (like I am wearing thick purple eyeliner). The swelling continues to decrease around my eyes and the rest of my face although I think my nose is swelling because the cast is slightly lifting up at the edges.
I went to the Farmer's market this morning, which I was a little nervous about just because I didn't want anyone to stare or to get my nose bumped and I still look like Frankenstein. But I thought the sunshine might be good for my bruises so I went along and there were no dramas !
At this point I am a little discouraged because I am still going to be very very bruised when I get my cast off :( But I am trying to stay positive because the nose itself looks cute (from what I can see, which isn't much !) and I just have to be patient with the bruising.
I guess I'm lucky I don't have to go back to my normal life for a couple of weeks because I would still look as though I have been in a serious fight.
I have been eating well and getting sleep ( I think I am putting on the weight I lost in the first few days of recovery!), taking arnica and applying arnica cream. If anyone has any suggestions for the bruising, I am just hoping it clears a little more before Tuesday because it looks pretty bad and it will be distracting from the nose outcome.
But like I said before - trying to stay positive, I can put up with bruises for a good nose!
Might go to the cinema this afternoon - I am getting so bored begin stuck inside all the time and need a distraction ! Will update again later on if there is any change or progression. If anyone is interested I might also do a list of my "must have" items for recovery, that have really helped me over the last 5 days !
nosewish7

Postby NoseWithWings » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 am

I hope today finds you well! I just called Dr. G's office and they asked me to come in tomorrow at 4:30 too. Looks like we might be playing the waiting game together! :P My swelling has definitely gone down, but I am now on day 5. Still have full red eyeliner on my left eyelid and a little on my right too. My face feels so gross! I usually don't go this long without washing my face lol! I did get in a cool bath too. I have been so scared this whole time, but as it felt glorious I plan on taking many, many more today! :D Except I am scared to wash my hair! Any suggestions?

Also I had to email Dr. G yesterday because my mom only remembered him saying to put neosporin on the stitches, so I didn't know if I was allowed to wipe out the excess drainage, and I was a hot mess! So much so that my mustache bandage was sticking to my nose. It hurt SOOOO bad!!! He let me know I could wipe out mucous and what not, but I still feel funny. My nostrils are MUCH smaller than they used to be so I am scared I am doing somehting wrong :shock: Well I guess I will see tomorrow.

I still have draining. My throat feels a bit better, but my nose and ears are bugging me. I kinda just want to take a decongestant to get rid of the drainage, but I know that would probably be couterproductive.

Did you get to see a movie yesteday? I am proud of you for venturing out! I still don't have tons of energy, so I am a hermit. I am eating better, but still not too much. Tomorrow will be my first day out. Let me know how it is going!
NoseWithWings

Products That Customers Interested in This Topic Are Buying

Next

Return to Nose Surgery, Nose Job, Rhinoplasty

Featured Specialists

Top Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
Look Young Again!
Experienced & Compassionate
www.DrBramKaufman.com

Miami Plastic Surgery
Board Certified Surgeons
Breast Augmentation $2800