LEARN, SHOP & CHAT ABOUT PLASTIC SURGERY, BEAUTY AND ANTI-AGING
You're here: Home > Message Boards > Plastic Surgery > Vaginoplasty, Labiaplasty

Plastic Surgery, Beauty, Skin Care Message Boards & Blogs

Our message boards are for all of us who want to talk, listen, share, and support fellow women and men interested in discussing plastic surgery, beauty treatments, pregnancy, gynecological concerns, aging, and various health conditions. You can read messages without logging in. To post a message, please log in or register. It's free...and being a member gives you access to important information. By using the Message Boards, you agree to the Message Boards Policies.

SUBSCRIBE: Sign up to get newsletter with weekly popular topics discussed on the boards  

Anyone have vaginoplasty recently?

Anyone have vaginoplasty recently?

Postby dreamin143 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 am

Wondering if you would not mind sharing your story, as far as the surgery in itself as well as if the surgery really helped out during intercourse to help your vagina feel "tighter" Thank you ladies as always for being so open :)
dreamin143

Re: Anyone have vaginoplasty recently?

Postby _velvet_ » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:42 am

Hi there.
I've just had vaginoplasty and I am currently 2 days out from surgery. I am not even close to being healed yet, so I can't give you all the answers you need, but I can tell you my story so far.

Honestly the hardest part for me was working up the courage to talk to my boyfriend about it. It seems silly now in hindsight, because we were both having sex with the same set of equipment (as if he didn't feel the problem himself) but I just couldn't bring myself to say out loud to him that I was so terribly unhappy. My vagina was like a shameful little secret that I just never wanted to utter existence about! When I finally made my decision and had been to some consults and saved up my own money I talked to him about it (in a flood of tears of course) and he was really great and supportive. So I went ahead with planning the surgery.

I researched a couple of doctors and chose one I felt most comfortable with - he has done hundreds before me so I was confident with his experience. The surgery itself took about 1 1/2 hrs during which I had local aesthetic and a "twilight" mix of IV sedation - midazolam and pethidine mostly. I was sort of awake and sort of asleep which made the whole thing really quite uncomfortable and I just remember wishing it would all hurry up and be over. No real pain as such, just uncomfortable. In hindsight I definitely would have preferred to be completely knocked out for it. But that puts costs up, so yeah, it's a bit of a toss up!

The day of the surgery I went home and slept all afternoon, I guess because of the drugs. The first night was horrible - I kept waking up every 3 hrs to take pain killers and I was pretty emotional. Couldn't seem to find any position that didn't hurt. But the next day was better. Still couldn't sit down, but the pain killers were at least controlling the pain, so it was fine. Now I'm day 2 and I can honestly say I am healing so fast that I am almost completely pain free. Just taking paracetamol now and it's controlling everything really well.

I've had a look with a little mirror, and the swelling and bruising is going down - but damn it looks pretty tight down there!! I'm concerned it might be too tight, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. From what I understand everyone thinks its too tight to begin with but then it stretches and they are happy. I've been worrying constantly about complete opposites at different times over the last couple of months - what if its too tight, no, what if its not tight enough, hahaha.

Anyway, that's all I can really say at this stage, but if you want to ask any questions I am happy to share. I will be very excited to see the final results.
_velvet_

Postby _velvet_ » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 am

Day 5
I have no pain at all now. I am walking around normally, I can sit down without wincing and even coughing isn't so bad anymore (although that still hurts a little). Every now and then I feel a little pull and sting which reminds me to slow down a little and just take it easy as I can still bust a stitch! But otherwise I'm pretty good now. I think it was a combo between having a great doctor and I was also quite fit and healthy leading up to the surgery - running a lot, eating well, etc.

I put a gentle finger in today - feels good! I'm really only 1 finger wide now, which I'm sure will stretch some more as I start using the dilators later on. So at the moment I'm thinking 'perfect!'

I seriously can't wait to have sex. It's driving me crazy - purely due to the curiosity of what the difference will feel like. This is a lot like getting a new toy for Christmas and then not being allowed to play with it for 6 weeks! Agh! Oh well, I guess I've waited 6 years to even have this surgery in the first place, so 6 weeks will just have to slowly tick past... I would hate to ruin anything.
_velvet_

Postby _velvet_ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I am 3 weeks today and I have been back at work for a week. Even though I have been healing really well, this week has been a bit uncomfortable - I'm glad I scheduled the surgery prior to my 2 week holiday period. Just things like sitting in long meetings with tight pants on, or holding on for a little too long when you have to pee has been been a bit more uncomfortable/painful than I expected. I would definitely not recommend to anyone to try to go back to work in less than a week, even though you feel pretty ok when you are just getting around at home.

The scar at the moment is quite raised and hard, both internally and externally. The stitches haven't dissolved yet, which I am not quite sure about - I would have thought they would have dissolved by now. I think I will give my Dr a call to make sure. He was happy with everything at the 2 week check up though. I'm not sure how long it will take for the scar to go flat and for things to feel normal inside. At the moment it all feels a bit weird in there when I put my finger in. Not like its been messed up or anything, but yeah, just a raised wide-feeling scar. I couldn't really imagine being able to have sex while it was still like that, so hopefully it will settle down after a few more weeks.

If anyone has anything to share about how their scars felt on the inside and how they healed up over time I would be very interested to hear. Otherwise I will just have to wait it out I suppose.
_velvet_

Products That Customers Interested in This Topic Are Buying

Postby _velvet_ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:35 am

Sooooooo.... I removed my own stitches yesterday.

I know I know it sounds a bit mad, but they were really annoying me and kept pulling and getting inflamed. And I swear that they were slowing down the healing and partially responsible for that raised hard feeling. I also didn't want it to scar too badly because who wants an ugly crinkly big vertical scar at the base of their otherwise nice-looking little vagina, right? (So happy that I now feel like I have a nice little vagina instead of an embarrassing big hole). There were about 5 or 6 stitches on the outside of my vagina at the base where the Dr had tightened up the opening and they were the ones annoying me so... Snip snip, problem solved!
Everyone else's posts I've read say their stitches had dissolved by 5 days / 7 days / 10 days, etc. and I am nearly at 4 weeks so surely they should be gone by now. I know from past experience that non-dissolvable stitches get taken out at 2 weeks post surgery, and my wound looked really well healed so I figured it would be ok.

It is actually MUCH better now they're out - the scar immediately has flattened out more and looks smoother and is not painful to touch or put pressure on anymore. The internal stitches were put under the skin so I can't feel them at all, it was just the outside ones bothering me.

On a different note - I can masterbate and orgasm now and everything is working just fine! I was a little worried before the surgery that I might lose some sensation or maybe a nerve would accidentally get cut and I wouldn't be able to orgasm anymore. But nope, all good! Yippee!

I can also just fit 2 small fingers inside and it feels tight around 2 fingers all the way in so I think that's pretty good, right? It's still a bit stingy at the opening I think because the skin is still very fragile so I don't want to push it before I'm ready so I'll try to leave it alone and not play with it anymore (lol) until the 6 week mark. I go in for my final check-up at 6 weeks and the Dr will let me know if I have the go ahead to start using the dilators and work my way up to sex. Hopefully the skin around the opening of my vagina where it's been stitched together doesn't keep splitting because that would make the whole thing very uncomfortable and delay enjoyable sex for a long time I imagine.

Some people on here have said that they were only made 1 finger wide and then they stretched and are glad they went that small to begin with.... I hope I have gone small enough and won't stretch too much after I start having regular sex again.

Can anyone share how much they stretched over the first year, compared to when it was first done? Probably there are not many people still reading these posts a year post-op though, lol.
_velvet_

Postby _velvet_ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

Dreamin - are you thinking of having this surgery done??
_velvet_

Postby dreamin143 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:39 am

VELVET,
thank you so much for sharing your journey and for all the details. I was curious how your first time having sex was after the surgery.

I actually had the surgery yesterday and ouch it hurts! I am good with pain usually but boy it does hurt. The painkillers aren't doing much and it hurts when I have to use the bathroom but I'm told its all part of it. I am happy already with my results I had already had my labia repaired prior and that seemed easier pain wise than this. I too always wanted this done, and my husband is the only person I have ever been with. As you mentioned, it was not easy bringing it up, but I am very happy I did it! I used the sitz bath a few times, definitely helped. Please continue e to update us on your progress! I will do the same :)
dreamin143

Postby _velvet_ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 am

Hi dreamin :)

Congrats on your surgery! The first few days are pretty painful but also pretty exciting to know it's finally been done.

I'm 4 and a half weeks at the moment so I haven't had sex yet :( Actually I think it might be a bit longer for me now. Everything was going fine - like really super fine, I felt great - but then a couple of days ago when my internal stitches started to dissolve and break apart I think my internal wound might have come open. I'm not really sure why this would be, I mean at 4 and a half weeks you would think the skin would be intact enough to hold together now. Maybe I overestimated how well I was over the last few weeks and should have taken it easier, I really don't know. I have also been really sick the last week with a cold and have been coughing constantly, quite hard at times. So maybe that was it.

Anyway I called my doctor and he was a bit weird on the phone and got me in trouble for putting my finger in to check things out. But I'm making an appointment to see him asap so I can figure out what is going on. I've had more pain over the last few days which may be because of the coughing, or because I'm stressed out, not sure. I just hope when I see him he actually listens to my concerns and doesn't get all defensive like I think he's messed it up or something. I've heard all the horror stories about surgeons being great until something goes wrong and then they don't want to know you, hahaha.

Anyway, I don't want to stress you out early in your surgery (I really hope I haven't). I don't even know if there is anything wrong yet, I guess I'm just a bit stressed myself. I didn't expect that this whole journey would be such an emotional roller coaster actually.

Make sure you update on how things are going and how you are feeling -- I really like reading other people's stories as it makes me feel more normal, hahaha.
_velvet_

Postby _velvet_ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 am

Okies, I went and saw my Dr today. I am exactly 5 weeks post-op and over the last 5 days I've been getting increasing pain - so bad I ended up in the emergency department the other night because I was so scared everything must have been just ripping apart or something. They wanted to do a speculum exam (nope nope nope! [-X ) but advised I would need to go back to my original Dr anyway as he is the one who knows my anatomy and can tell me what's going on. So next night I jumped on a plane for the 2hr trip home to see him (I am currently spending a year away from home for work reasons - very difficult).

At the airport I was sitting there waiting to board and suddenly was in intense pain and felt a flood of warm fluid between my legs :shock: ! I freaked, hoping it was not blood and practically RAN to the bathroom. But the pain felt like it was coming from my cervix - felt just like when they scrape the cells in a Pap smear except worse. So I was in the bathroom, the fluid had turned out not to be blood but I was in such pain I felt like I was going to vomit and pass out at the same time! My cervix was killing me and even though the Dr had said to keep my finger out I had to perform an emergency maneuver on myself or else I really was going to faint. So I put the finger in right up as far as I could go and lifted my cervix up! It immediately felt a bit better.

The rest of the plane ride home was pretty excruciating (the girl next to kept asking if I was ok) but I finally made it and was straight in to see the Dr today.

Turns out I have a tiny little tear over one part of the sutures, which he reckons will heal no problems, BUT I have vaginitis on my cervix! That was the source of my pain. Who knows how that happened, probably a combo of surgery, lots of meds, and having a bad flu recently (also probably putting my fingers in there too early when I shouldn't have been). I don't care though, as long as I know what is going on and we can fix it.

So I am on a bit more treatment which should heal quickly, but he said everything else was healing wonderfully! He did an internal examination and reckons I am 1 finger wide (man finger size), symmetrical and smooth, about 15cm all the way in to my vagina. In fact he said he was so pleased with it, that when I do eventually return to sex he is sure I will be very very happy :D

I should also say that he was incredibly kind and took everything I was saying so so seriously and listened to every bit of my story without judgement and was a true professional. I was really very scared of the horror stories where Dr's don't want to know you after surgery but he was the opposite. I am certain I have received the best care possible and I am really grateful for that.

So hopefully the only event I will have to report on next will be how amazing the sex is when I am ready, hahaha. I am allowed to start the dilation process with my finger (applying creams internally as part of the treatment for what's been happening), then go up to the dilators, and then sex! I am excited, but I think I will wait 2-3 weeks just to make sure everything is in tip-top condition before saying hello to the penis (lol).
_velvet_

Postby _velvet_ » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 pm

So I just thought I'd post an update.

I am 8 weeks now but haven't had sex yet because I don't see my partner until this Saturday (I am living in a different city this year due to work). I have been completely healed for over a week now. The infection went away quickly, and the tear over the sutures healed quickly too, although I can still feel a bumpy scar internally. Not tender at all though.

I am actually very happy that we have been separated for that extra 2 weeks as it has given me time to heal properly and for me to use the dilators at my own pace, without having to worry about sex yet.

I have been using the dilators for the last week but have stopped now as I don't think I need them anymore. Everything really loosens up quickly once something starts going back in to the vagina again. I think once I've had sex I will start another thread detailing the size change that occurs from immediately post-surgery to having sex, and even throughout the first year. This seems to be the biggest area of confusion prior to surgery - how small should you go to begin with and how much does it stretch afterwards, etc.

I definitely recommend the dilators though. They allow you to slowly work up to a decent size with very minimal pain, rather than suffering tears etc if you just jump straight in to sex. At the moment I am comfortable using the 3cm diameter one without any pain. I was told to go the size larger than my boyfriend before sex and then I should be ok. I did fit the larger size dilator in (4cm) but it was a significant stretch so I only did that twice as I don't want to stretch out too much!!!

In terms of how it feels - I am WAY more sensitive now! The dilators are fun and orgasms are great, haha. Feeling around with my finger inside, the walls of my vagina are much more firm and when I contract my pelvic floor muscles I can feel it all the way along my vagina. I am now going to start doing pelvic floor exercises daily as I think this will be very important to keep everything firm.

So I am ready for sex! I'll report back in about a week. (Hahaha this feels kind of like a combat mission now, lol.)
_velvet_

SEX!

Postby _velvet_ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 am

Eep! I had sex!

And holy crapola, it's super tight down there!

It hurt, quite a bit, even though I've been using the dilators, they're not the same as having sex! I was really nervous too and kind of had a bit of performance anxiety so I wasn't as turned on as I thought I'd be, and then the pain was distracting... Strange that I wasn't as turned on as I thought I'd be. I've been waiting for this for AGES and I was getting really turned on every time I thought about it, and then it comes to the moment and I go all weird - what the hell, body!?!

But it was good, don't get me wrong! I am definitely happy with the results! But also in a way, I feel a bit sad too. My vagina is such a different shape now, and there were a few awkward moments when we couldn't really do the old moves that we both used to really like doing, hahaha. I think this it just some emotion coming out after changing my body, particularly an area so personal. Makes me remember when my friend got her boobs done and she cried for a week - not because she didn't like them, but just because the sudden change had an effect on her. I think that must be what I'm feeling now. I've never had any surgery before so I didn't expect it.

But apart from the weird emotion, sex was great! I am really glad I went through with the whole thing. Also the verdict from the bf - feels great, super tight! We both agree it will probably be better once I'm a little stretched as it really is very very tight right now. BUT, we now have a whole week of romance ahead to practise as we are going away on a bit of a holiday together. Well needed and well deserved :D
_velvet_

Postby jpalisades » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Velvet. I really really appreciate your long and detailed posts. About three years ago when this surgery was new, I tried to find people who kept a diary about their experiences, but there was zero out there online. you've really made the experience come to life for all of us.

I would like to hear How you and your partner feel now, a month past the initial sex. I have a boyfriend who is on the small side and I am on the wet and wide side and it's just not as good as it could be. And I feel so sad about that. I do feel ashamed of my big wide empty vagina. He would never ever agree with me, though I know he thinks it.

If you don't mind, could you send me a separate private message with your doctor's name? I really want to check this out.

Please post another message sometime this month or next and tell us how it's going. I feel like you would tell us if it wasn't exactly what you hoped for. Here's hoping you are completely enjoying your partner and your self! Hug!
jpalisades

Postby _velvet_ » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 am

Hi!
Sex is great, thanks for asking! Hahaha. I'm very happy I had the surgery done. Although it hasn't all been peaches and cream, and the end result is probably not even exactly what I imagined, but I'm still glad I had it done.

I think I probably could have gone smaller on the inside as I have stretched quite a bit from the initial surgery. But then the skin around the outside is still a bit too tight, go figure. It's not painful or anything, I just look at it with a little handheld mirror and think it looks a bit weird, like sort of sewn up just a bit too far.

It occurred to me that I should go back and get a revision if I'm not 100% satisfied, but I just don't think I am brave enough to. When I got the infection after the surgery it freaked me out so much thinking I might have completely ruined my body. I underestimated how big the surgery was and I think if I went and did it again it would not be worth it as I'm seriously just picking small faults now, it's not causing me a lot of anxiety or anything.

Before having the surgery, every time I had sex I would try to grip my pelvic floor as hard as I could, and I'd feel so upset afterwards that I'd be borderline in tears. I'm not like that anymore, so I don't want to take the chance with another surgery, just for the sake of trying to achieve "perfection".

Other things that were unexpected - I don't naturally lubricate very well anymore, we always have to use lubricant. I think my body might just be taking some time to go back to its normal functioning though, so I'm not worried by it. Also my sure fire orgasm positions feel different now so I'm still working out the best positions to get off. But then other positions feel so much better than they ever did before! Hahaha, maybe that was too much information.

Overall, I'm happy. I would recommend getting it done if it is as big a deal for your self-esteem as it was for me. But I suppose realistic expectations is the key.

Your boyfriend sounds similar to mine. He would never tell me before that he didn't think my vagina was tight enough, and he still won't, but we've talked a lot about it the last few weeks and he says he understands why I wanted to do it, but he loves me either way and loves having sex with me. I'm very lucky to have someone so supportive and understanding. So many of the reasons behind wanting to have a surgery like this are linked to self-esteem (for me it was anyway), so I think it's really important to be with someone who helps that.
_velvet_

Postby Laamazing04 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 am

Hello Velvet ....Thank you so mucho for all the details of your surgery. I am hoping to have mine done in the next couple of months. Say did you have a catheter put in after surgery? I was told my the surgeon that I would have one put in for like 4 days.

I can't wait to have mine done.
Laamazing04

Postby _velvet_ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:47 am

Hi

Sorry I have taken a while to reply - I've been super busy and forgot to check the board for ages!

I never had a catheter put in, but mine was just a day surgery procedure. I know for other vaginal operations, like rectocele/cystocele repairs, women will have a cath put in, but that involves a few nights hospital stay and apparently urinary retention is much more common after a general anaesthetic rather than just the "twilight" sedation (which is what I had). I probably wouldn't be too concerned about it - at least you won't have to go through the agony of peeing on those first few days!!!

Also, just as more of a general update on how things are going: It's been 5 months now and I'm STILL getting used to things. I stretched quite quickly over the first 2 months, which really freaked me out (I thought I was going to stretch back to how it was before), but then I settled at my new size, which is just slightly more than 2 fingers. I have really gone up and down with my feelings on everything - some days I'm really happy, and other days I feel like it didn't work out the way I wanted it to. I am too critical I think, but I realise now that I must have had kind of a subconscious "ideal image" in my mind (I didn't even know it was there, I thought I just wanted to be "normal") but the post-surgical reality has turned out to be quite different. Not bad, just different. But that of course leaves me open my own endless critique (will I never be satisfied?!?)

I have started to return to normal with my natural lubrication, but we still have to use a gel lubricant all the time anyway just because it feels better for me with lots of extra lube. Which brings me to my last unexpected issue - my scars still hurt! Even the ones deep inside. It's not excruciating, but while the stretch during sex feels good everywhere else in my vagina, along the scar line it is like kind of a mild-moderate burning pain. It is distracting. Prior to surgery, I really wanted that feeling of being "stretched" during sex (sorry to be blunt), and now that I have it, I'm not really getting to enjoy it!! It's funny because I actually like the feeling of something smaller now, like 2 fingers, instead of a big penis, haha. Hopefully it will settle over time.

One thing though, that I really cannot put enough value on, is that regardless of whether I feel like the surgery has matched my expectations or not, I am no longer holding on to that insecurity with sex anymore. I used to feel like crying after having sex and I don't feel like that anymore. It is a relief and it is liberating to feel confident about sex, rather than a failure. I am confident and happy in every other part of my life - and I have always loved sex - but now I feel like my sexual self-esteem matches the rest, which is good.
_velvet_

Products That Customers Interested in This Topic Are Buying

Next

Return to Vaginoplasty, Labiaplasty

Featured Specialists

//test